Hebrews: Drawing Near to GodJuly 20, 2016 at 12:15 pm | Posted in Hebrews | Leave a comment
Tags: Bible lessons on Hebrews, Bible study on Hebrews, commentary on Hebrews, drawing near to God, Hebrews, immanence of God, Sunday School lessons on Hebrews
The Book of Hebrews offers five admonitions for living a confident and victorious Christian life:
1. Don’t slip when it comes to faithfully exercising your spiritual disciplines. Don’t stop praying, studying your Bible, attending church.
2. Don’t be suspicious of God’s trustworthiness.
3. Don’t be stunted in your spiritual growth. Eat God’s nourishing Word, rest on His promises, and exercise yourself in walking with Him.
4. Don’t slander God’s Word by acting like it’s not true.
5. Don’t spurn God’s Word by disbelieving or thinking it doesn’t apply to your special circumstances.
There are several themes in the Book of Hebrews: the supremacy of Christ over all His Old Testament types; finding a confident and sure “rest” by “entering in” to the promises of God; Christ’s role as our Great High Priest; and others. But the theme that really stood out to me the first time I studied through Hebrews was the theme of drawing nearer and nearer to God. I believe the two key verses to unlocking the book are:
For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
We can draw nigh with confidence into the Holiest to truly consider the glory of God in the person and work of Christ. We can draw near by growing in holiness, by faith, by consistently seeking to be in His presence, by considering, provoking, and assembling with each other, by preparation for worship, and by a willingness to go forth. Draw near to God in Christ and you will enter into your rest!
Here are links to the lessons on Hebrews:
1. Winning the Argument that Christ Is Better (Hebrews 1)
2. Two Thrones (Hebrews 1:8)
3. The Certainty of Christ’s Deity (Hebrews 1:10-13)
4. Don’t Let ’em Give You the Slip (Hebrews 1-2)
5. John Piper’s S.W.I.M. Prayer (Hebrews 2:1)
6. Don’t Let Go of the Rope (Hebrews 2:1)
7. He’s No Angel (Hebrews 2, 4:15)
8. Flesh and Blood (Hebrews 2:14)
9. Close Enough to Whisper in God’s Ear (Hebrews 3-4)
10. Restless Unbelief (Hebrews 3)
11. The Labor of Rest (Hebrews 3-4)
12. Rest / Repentance (Hebrews 3-4)
13. The Invitation to Come Closer (Hebrews 4)
14. A Timely Word (Hebrews 4:12) *
15. Beware the Feeling of Formidability (Hebrews 5)
16. Don’t Stunt Your Growth (Hebrews 5)
17. When the Foundation Ceases to be Cute (Hebrews 6)
18. The Hard Work of Encouragement (Hebrews 6)
19. Partakers Overtake Undertakers (Hebrews 6:4-6)
20. Anchored Upward (Hebrews 6)
21. The Certain Hope (Hebrews 6:18-19)
22. A Unique and Superior Priesthood (Hebrews 7)
23. The Testator as Intercessor (Hebrews 7)
24. The Meaning, Majesty, Ministry, and Maintenance of the Mediator (Hebrews 8)
25. The Old Covenant Sanctuary and the New Covenant Sanctuary (Hebrews 9)
26. The Greatest Sacrifice (Hebrews 10)
27. The Danger of Slandering God (Hebrews 10)
28. Catechism Question 19 (Hebrews 10:12)
29. Faith Illustrated (Hebrews 11)
30. Home Is Where Your Lord Is (Hebrews 11)
31. Abraham and Isaac Receiving Christ in a Figure (Hebrews 11:17-19)
32. How God Prepares Leaders (Hebrews 11:23-29)
33. A Closer Race with Thee (Hebrews 12)
34. Racing Tips (Hebrews 12:1)
35. The Author of the Story that Never Ends (Hebrews 12:2, 7:25, 6:18)
36. This Is Going to Hurt Me More than It’s Going to Hurt You (Hebrews 12)
37. Immutability for Today (Hebrews 13)
38. Why Is Marriage So Honorable? (Hebrews 13:1-8)
39. The Assurance of the Blood (Hebrews 13:20-21)
* most-viewed post in category